Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Western vs. Non-Western

I have only lived in one town my whole life. I have only been able to experience one school systems way of teaching. After reading about some of the other educational philosophies from around the world I'm not sure I would ever want to go to school anywhere else. I think that the U.S. has the most laid back teaching styles, while still being educational.

I don't understand how Essential-ism would ever work. It's goal is the acquisition of culture or cultural literacy for personal use. Wouldn't teachers want to teach something that would be useful to more than one person. It also says that the role of the student is to "receive knowledge; demonstrate MINIMUM competencies". Why shouldn't they have to show what they have 'learned'. How would a teacher know that they actually understood what they spent so much time talking about? How is that rewarding at all?

I believe that the U.S. is made up of so many different people and cultures that there is no one defined teaching style. But if you take a closer look into certain areas, you can see the similarities. You can't just have one generalized teaching style and still an effective teacher. You have to be able to demonstrate a little bit of all the educational philosophies in order to be effective for all students.
 

I thought that this was a fun little graph that shows all that it takes to get through to all students to help them learn and grow.

If you click on this photo it will enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment